Negotiation

Mixed media 14 x 10 x 15 cm, 6 x 4 x 16 cm (WxLxH)

As a Korean, it is absurd that security should be guaranteed through negotiations between the U.S. and North Korea, not South and North Korea.

It is ironic that many Koreans are in a state where even safety and peace can be threatened by U.S. choices.

Also, many developing countries are threatened by the economic sanctions of the big powers, as well.

Since the Korean War, South Korea has received much support from the United States in many ways. This situation naturally made Korea a pro-U.S. nation, and my parents’ generation who experienced the Korean War is quite friendly toward the U.S. However, I think that the generation after the war has not experienced can only be quite negative about their attitude toward the United States. There are several reasons for this. First, the U.S. is demanding and paying a huge amount of defense spending from South Korea every year. The U.S. military is stationed in South Korea, and they say they protect us from North Korean threats, but they also create a dangerous situation because of the U.S. president’s political actions. Secondly, the U.S. has installed many equipment such as THAAD in South Korea to keep China in check. This situation has caused many difficulties in trade with China, and South Korea has suffered much economic damage. Finally, South Korea has no choice in improving relations with North Korea. There was a lot of negotiations between the three countries, but Korea always had to follow the U.S. decision.

I think it is true that South Korea has received a lot of support from the United States in the past, but I wonder how long we have to follow their choice. I also think this generation gap can lead to a split between parents and their children.

1 thought on “Negotiation